Stop Hitting Snooze
Updated: Aug 18
For as long as I've used an alarm clock to wake up, the snooze button has been my friend. Learn what happened once I decided to ditch it for the week.
I don't know about you, but I love an extra 10-15 minutes of sleep in the morning.
I tend to be more of a morning person than a night owl, but I definitely had my fair share of mornings that I didn't want to get out of bed. I could feel my sheets calling me for just a few more minutes of sleep. So, I'd silence my alarm using my snooze button and roll over to get a few more moments of shut-eye.
Little did I know, that was actually hurting me.
(I know, I know. It's hard to read - but just hear me out!)
In this article by the Huffington Post, there are several reasons why hitting the snooze button is a bad idea. The one that stands out to me the most is that hitting the snooze button can put you in this crazy state of "sleep inertia" where you actually feel more tired than you were before.
With this in mind, I made a goal to ignore my snooze button for a week. Here's what worked well:
1. I left my phone across the room each night. This meant that I had to get up and walk to actually silence my alarm.
2. I immediately brushed my teeth upon waking up. This gave me a little more momentum to keep going. I didn't want to brush and get back in the bed.
3. After brushing my teeth, I get dressed for my workout. I exercise in the morning, so getting dressed also helped me stick to my workout plan.
4. I gave my brain time to shut down before bed. I read 15 minutes before preparing to go to sleep, which gave my brain a little time to slow down and rest. My body knew it was time for sleep. which made getting up easier.
5. I stuck with a bedtime. No staying up late to binge watch a show. I set a strict bedtime for myself and stuck with it. A few days, I found myself waking up before my alarm.
If hitting the snooze button is a struggle for you, try one (or maybe all) of these tips. They've definitely helped me consistently get out of bed and get my days started!